A canned response is essentially a generic email that you can send to a number of recipients. You can:
- Create more than one.
- Use one automatically when setting up a filter to reply to a specific type of email.
See Using filters in Gmail.
- Use one directly from your Inbox when composing a message.
- You can send a canned response to job applicants, letting them know that you have received their applications.
- If you use different signatures with different recipients, you can create a canned response to use with each signature.
First, enable the Canned Responses lab.
- Go to your Gmail Settings (gear icon).
- Click on the Labs link at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to Canned Responses.
- Select the Enable radio button.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Next, create a canned response.
- Compose an email message.
- Leave the To field blank (filled automatically with the recipient’s email address).
- Leave the Subject field blank (filled automatically with a reply to the recipient’s subject).
- At the bottom of your compose window, click on the “More Options” arrow.
- Select Canned Responses.
- Click New canned response.
- Enter an appropriate name for the response; e.g., “Application-Received” to use for job applicants.
- Click OK.
- Enter the wording for the canned response.
- Click Save.
Help with canned response
Contact the NC State Help Desk.