Google Hangouts, an app that allowed both chat and video calls from within the Gmail interface, has now been split into two separate apps —Hangouts Meet and Hangouts Chat— to better focus on and extend those two functionalities. Eventually, these two apps will replace classic Hangouts completely, but Google has not yet given an official time frame for that replacement.
Classic Hangouts chat and video calls will be available until support from Google ends.
Availability of Classic Hangouts chat
- When classic Hangouts chat is enabled in the user’s Gmail Interface.
NOTE: To turn off classic Chat and use the new Chat app:
- In the Gmail Inbox, select the Settings Gear.
- Choose Settings.
- From the Chat tab, select “Chat Off.”
To learn how to enable the new Chat, visit Get started with Hangouts Chat.
Availability of Classic Hangouts video calls
- When starting a video call from a classic Hangouts chat
- When a video call was added to a previously scheduled recurring Calendar event that had an attached Hangout.
NOTE: We strongly encourage meeting managers to update recurring Calendar meetings to include a new Hangouts Meet.
For more on the differences between classic Hangouts and Hangouts Meet, visit Switching to Meet from classic Hangouts.
Meet replaces Classic Hangouts video calls with no option to switch back.
Hangouts Meet Highlights
- Supported platforms:
- Chrome and Firefox web browsers
- Android, iOS, Hangouts Meet hardware, Chrome devices for Meetings
- Up to 25 participants
- Dial-in phone number and dial-out capability
- Allow external invitees with one click (invitee does not need a Gmail account).
- Join meetings via web browser, Google calendar, Meeting link URL, Hangouts Chat, etc. For additional information, see Join a Video Meeting.
- Screen sharing and screencasting
- Ability to send chat messages in video meeting
- Works only with:
- Chrome and Firefox browsers
- Mobile apps available for iOS and Android
- Cannot directly add or invite a participant from within a meeting; instead, must share a link via chat, email, or other means
Start a Meet
NC State users can currently start or join a Hangouts Meet by:
- Visiting meet.google.com
- Adding a Hangouts Meet to the Add Conferencing field in a Google Calendar event.
For more information, see Get started with Hangouts Meet.
Chat lets you easily send a text, send a file, share a document from Google Drive, or start a Hangouts Meet session. Chat is available via a web browser or stand alone apps for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.
Once initiated, a direct message is a private conversation among designated individuals. No others can be added. You can edit previous messages and add formatting for more clarification.
|Retention: Per the NC State Office of General Counsel (OGC), history for direct messages is turned off by default. This means that a message is permanently deleted after 24 hours. An individual user may turn history on for a selected direct message, provided that all parties agree to have history turned on.
Users should avoid discussing the following topics in Hangouts Chat:
In Chat, there is a new feature called rooms, where you and your team can communicate, share files and other online resources, and work together on tasks.
In a room, conversations are organized into different threads, so your team can discuss multiple subjects at the same time. A room is persistent, so you can easily continue with a previous thread or start a new one.
In addition to inviting an individual to a room, you can also invite an existing Google Group. Each member of that group will have the option to join the room.
Room chats are persistent, and their history is handled by Vault.
|Retention: Hangouts chat room retention is handled via Google Vault and, per the OGC, will have an 18-month retention period. Retention is calculated for each individual message from the time of its original post. For example, a message posted on 10/1/2019 would be available until 4/1/2021.
Users should avoid discussing the following topics in a Hangouts Chat room:
To learn more about the new Chat along with how to get started collaborating and managing Chat, visit the G Suite Learning Center.
- Currently only available between NC State accounts
- Chat room content retention of 18 months and discoverable in Vault
- Use via web client or download the Chat app (currently available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS)
Manage Chat History
- A room chat remains accessible to its members for the retention period (currently 18 months at NC State).
- If room chat history is enabled, members can search for specific chats and direct messages. Search by document type, user, images, PDFs, etc.
- Google admins can search room chat history in Vault.
- Hangouts Training (REPORTER)
- Deep Dive into the New Hangouts Chat (YouTube, 26:49)
- Introducing the New Google Hangouts Meet (YouTube, 2:06)
- Get Started with Hangouts Meet
- Hangouts Meet training and help
- Get started with Hangouts Chat
- Hangouts Help
- NC State Help Desk
See Google’s accessibility products and features and scroll to the Google Hangouts section.
Please give us your suggestions for G Suite @ NC State.