Team Drive is now available for users in our NC State domain, but a Team Drive must be requested rather than created by an end user. A Team Drive can be requested for a project, committee, department, or other team related purpose.
- Before you request a Team Drive
- Team Drive Best Practices
- Additional Drive information
- Team Drive Request Form
Please consider the following:
- A Team Drive is owned by the domain (NC State) rather than an individual.
- A Team Drive must initially identify a Team Drive “Organizer,” who will be given FULL access along with special migration permissions for a limited two week period.
- The Organizer can add new members or groups, and correctly manage files and folders (creating, deleting).
- The Organizer can also give other team members FULL access.
- Folders and documents stored in a Team Drive can be accessed by all members of that Team Drive.
- Folder permissions are granted at the Team level.
- Individual file permissions can be different for non-team individuals, but Folder permissions cannot.
- For more efficient management of your Team Drive, OIT recommends that you create a G Suite Group via Web Registry for your team members if you do not already have one.
- Users outside of the NC State domain can also be members of a Team Drive.
- Information in Team Drive is stored in Vault for e-discovery and retention.
- As with Google Drive, Team Drives are approved as a cloud storage option for Red Level Data and below.
- See Determining Sensitivity Levels for Shared Data for details.
- NC State may modify Team Drive settings for NC State compliance purposes.
- Designate an Organizer and at least one other member with “full access”.
- There is no limit to how many users can have “full access”.
- Identify individuals to be initially included and add members to the Team Drive before migrating content.
- For more efficient management of your Team Drive, OIT recommends that you create a G Suite Group via Web Registry for your team members if you do not already have one and establish “Permissions” for each individual or Group.
- Organizers should work with team members to identify content that will be migrated during the initial two week period.
- Organizers can migrate folders during this limited two week period as long as they have view access to the folders.
- Communicate with all team members once Team Drive is available.
For more about the differences between Team Drive and My Drive, visit:
You must log in to complete this request.