Team Drive is now available for users in our NC State domain, but a Team Drive must be requested rather than created by an end user. A Team Drive can be requested for a project, committee, department, or other team related purpose.
- Before you request a Team Drive
- Team Drive Best Practices
- Additional Drive information
- Team Drive Request Form
Please consider the following:
- A Team Drive is owned by the domain (NC State) rather than an individual.
- Team Drives must designate a “Primary Organizer.” The primary organizer will be given FULL access along with the following:
- Special migration permissions for a limited two week period. (Additional details will be provided once request is approved.)
- Rights to add new members or groups, determine permissions, and assign other team members FULL access.
- The ability to manage files and folders (creating, deleting).
- Folders and documents stored in a Team Drive can be accessed by all members of that Team Drive.
- Folder permissions are granted at the Team level.
- Individual file permissions can be different for non-team individuals, but Folder permissions cannot.
- OIT recommends using a Google Group to manage Team Drives, especially for Team Drives with large memberships and varying permissions. If you do not have an existing Google Group, you can request one via Web Registry.
- Users outside of the NC State domain can also be members of a Team Drive if they have a Google account.
- Information in Team Drive is stored in Vault for e-discovery and retention.
- As with Google Drive, Team Drives are approved as a cloud storage option for Red Level Data and below.
- See Determining Sensitivity Levels for Shared Data for details.
- NC State may modify Team Drive settings for NC State compliance purposes.
- Review Team Drive technical limitations regarding data migration and content organization.
- Designate a Primary Organizer and at least one other member with “full access”.
- There is no limit to how many users can have “full access”.
- Identify individuals to be initially included and add members to the Team Drive before migrating content.
- For more efficient management of your Team Drive, OIT recommends using a Google Group to manage Team Drives, especially for those with large memberships and varying permissions. If you do not have an existing Google Group, you can request one via Web Registry.
- Primary Organizers should work with team members to identify content that will be migrated during the initial two week period.
- Primary Organizers can migrate folders during this limited two week period as long as they have view access to the folders.
- Communicate with all team members once Team Drive is available.
For more about the differences between Team Drive and My Drive, visit:
- Team Drives at NC State (YouTube presentation)
- Get Started with Team Drive
- Manage Team Drives
- Share Files with Team Drives
Need to request more than 3 Team Drives? Follow our Bulk Team Drive Request process instead of the form below.
You must log in to complete the Team Drive Request Form.