A Google Group is an online environment where group members can communicate and collaborate on topics or items of interest. In addition, Google Groups can also be leveraged for permission management and access to files and other items. Google Groups @ NC State:
- Used for emailing groups of people as well as for discussion lists
- Used for permissions management (calendar invites, Drive/Docs permissions; anywhere you can use an email address)
- Collaborative Inbox (requested through Help Desk; not on by default).
- Forums /Q&A type discussions
Sometimes the word “group” may refer to:
- the members of the group; e.g., “Send an email to the group” or “use the group to grant access to a Team Drive”
- the discussion area itself; e.g., “Did you read that posting in the group?”
- Sign in to Web Registry.
- Select Start a New Request.
- From the Select Service Type drop-down menu, select:
- Note the information you will need to provide and follow the prompts.
- Email Address Format will be firstname.lastname@example.org
- NC State students, faculty, and staff only
- By default, Group membership is restricted to @ncsu.edu addresses
- If external members (email addresses) are needed, contact the Help Desk and request ability to add external members be enabled. Please provide a short explanation why.
- Group visibility in Global Directory: ON
- Who can post to Group: only members
- Who can view membership of Group: group members
- Who can view email addresses of members: group owners
- Google Group managers can change these settings via the Google Groups Web UI
- May need student consent
- See Adapting the Consent and Waiver Form for Your Course
(restricted to Unity account holders).
To dynamically update permissions and meeting invitations, invite a Google Group instead of a list of email addresses. If you invite a Group to a Calendar event or share a file with a Group in Drive, Google will automatically share with all members of the Group and permissions will update when Group membership changes. For example, a committee uses a recurring Calendar event for standing meetings. When new members are added to the committee’s Group by the Group manager, the new members are automatically invited to the standing Calendar invitation.
- May request archiving when requesting group through Web Registry.
Inclusion in Google Global directory
- The “Group Directory” setting controls whether or not the group’s name, email and description are searchable via the Google Group Directory webpage and listed in the Google Global directory.
- If it is set to OFF, your Google group will no longer appear in the Group directory or the Global directory.
- No accessibility problems with having people participate in Google Groups @ NC State.
- To avoid dependence upon the Groups user interface, allow members to receive email messages.
OIT recommends using WebRegistry to create your Google Group @ NC State, but self-created Consumer Groups are also available. Consumer Groups differ from Google Groups @ NC State in the following ways.
- Use the naming convention email@example.com
- Cannot be restricted to only members with @ncsu.edu addresses
- Follow the Google Terms of Service
- Have no official affiliation with the university
- Do not store logs for membership changes, message history, etc.
- Are not supported by the Help Desk
- Are not recoverable by the Help Desk if the owner of the Group does not transfer ownership upon separation.
Please give us your suggestions for G Suite @ NC State.