A Google Group, an online environment where group members can discuss items related to a specific subject or topic, can be:
- used as a communication platform via email as well as a Web interface.
- used for managing discussions and for group or personal settings.
- configured for various permissions; e.g., restricted, moderated.
- used to find a meeting time (busy search) or to schedule appointments.
Sometimes the word “group” may refer to:
- the members of the group; e.g., “Send an email to the group.”
- the discussion area itself; e.g., “Did you read that posting in the group?”
Two kinds of Google Groups are available at NC State:
- Google Groups @ NC State (core app)
- Google Groups (consumer app).
The following table offers a comparison of these so that you can choose the better one for your specific situation.
|Google Groups @ NC State||Google Groups|
|Available for||Students, faculty, staff||Students, faculty, staff|
|Launch||Google Groups @ NC State||Google Groups|
|Email address email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Must adhere to university and other legal records requirements; e.g., confidential information, FERPA and HIPAA, public records||Must adhere to university and other legal records requirements; e.g., confidential information, FERPA and HIPAA, public records|
|Share student information?||
|May request archiving when requesting group through Web Registry||Group owner can set up archiving.|
|Inclusion in NC State Contacts||May request inclusion, if appropriate, when requesting group through Web Registry||Not available|
|Google Apps Education Edition Agreement||Google Terms of Service|
Please give us your suggestions for Google Apps @ NC State.